Here are some straightforward search engine optimisation (SEO) tips for you to use to market yourself and increase your online visibility:
1. When linking to your website from an external source, don’t always link to the home page, but vary it between important pages located lower down on your information structure.
2. Always make sure that your meta data is unique for each page on your site.
4. When looking at your rankings, always remember to ‘depersonalise’ your search. Log out of your search engine accounts and navigate to the main home page before checking your Google CV.
5. Keep evolving your SEO campaign by rethinking keywords, tweaking pages and creating additional content. Never use un-optimised content.
6. There are many free link checkers available (Google will give them to you). Use these periodically to make sure that all your links are pointing to the correct pages and not dead ends.
7. Make sure your meta descriptions contain your keywords, but also keep them compelling enough to attract users.
8. Be a little wary of where your posts links. Although the more links the better, a few incoming links from sites of high credibility/popularity can be more valuable than countless links from ‘dodgy’ sites.
9. Optimise your images by using keywords in the filename, image caption, body text and so on. A simple operation that can add much relevancy to your site or blog without the need to create new content.
10. Always keep your sitemaps updated with your latest content. Spend some time adding newer pages to your catalogue of links.